I’m writing this on Memorial Day, a day where we remember the fallen. It is also the unofficial start to the summer. It’s also the unofficial start to such timeless inner city classics like:
People racing Honda civics, and other old street cars in your hood.
Kids racing those stupid dirt bikes up your street.
The hood smelling like BBQ every single night.
Loud music at parties heard from miles away (GUILTY!!!)
Some asshole cranking an outdoor home theater system (GUILTY!!!!)
That game where you have to guess whether it’s a firecracker or a gunshot. Unfortunately, it is often both.
While firecrackers are fun (very illegal here, but still fun), there is nothing fun about gun violence. Boston neighborhoods have had their share of violence, but this is that time of the year where the violence skyrockets. Once the temps hit 80 those without central air/AC, or those who can’t afford to keep their systems running all day will be outside more.
The heat makes people more irritable which can cause lapses in judgment; the type of lapses in judgement that can drive people to make really dumb decisions. If you’re getting aggy because of this heat, then I suggest the following.
1. Go for a walk, preferably away from the hood. There are plenty of cool places that are accessible by the T.
2. If you have a car, and some gas money, drive to somewhere for a day at the beach or a nice hike.
3. If you don’t have a car, but your friend does; pool some gas money together. Escape the hood for a day.
4. If you got that dumb ass friend who gets into that dumb hood shit, talk them down. Tell em’ to ackrite.
5. Plan play dates. You’ll be less likely to act a fool in front of your damn kids.
6. If someone seems like they’re about to act a fool at your party, you can kick them out. I should note that proper de-escalation is still key in situations like this. I know people who have sadly lost their life trying to deal with unruly people.
While not every act of violence can be prevented, some of them can. Please stay safe this summer.
And stay classy…
Flemmings Beaubrun is an avid gamer and lover of music. When not working, Flemmings likes to spend his time whipping up dank beats for the masses. He also spends his weekends thrift shopping for rare video games and obscure electronics. Other times he’s in front of a TV with a giant bowl of cereal enjoying shows from the 90s.