Normally I try to avoid ranting about the whole race issue as much as possible. It’s not that I don’t care, it’s just become a very touchy issue; but lately I’ve been compelled to vent about a few things as of late. So everyone grab a comfy chair and sit the fuck down cause we’re going to have this conversation.
1. No shit all lives matter. We know damn well all lives matter! The reason we have to emphasize the black ones is because a broken justice system that allows cops to get away with excessive use of force and murder has made it very clear that our lives don’t matter.
2. At no point did Black Lives Matter ever mean “Let’s assault cops,” or “Let’s block rush hour traffic,” or “Let’s Vandalize and loot.” And to anyone that attempts to utilize a peaceful movement as a vehicle to break the law for their own personal gain, fuck you!
3. People seem to be going batshit crazy over various performances and speeches by various musicians and celebrities, even though those performances fall within the freedom of speech. It’s funny how much people will pride themselves over free speech until it’s aimed at bullshit that they’re in denial about.
4. I see a lot of people who moan and bitch every time the issue of race is brought up but you know what? We have to bring that issue up. We need to remind you what and where we came from. They say that those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and seeing as history is being repeated, clearly people have yet to learn from it. Sure we no longer have slave plantations and Jim Crow laws but we do still have a race problem, much like a virus or a parasite it’s evolved to adapt to its new environment aka “the 21st century.” In the same way that the Terminators evolved their combat tactics to deal with Jon Connor, Racists have learned to hide behind various loopholes in the law aka the use of excessive force and various “stand your ground laws.”
5. I’m no cop and I don’t hate cops. But of all the items in your arsenal, you have to pull out a gun of all things. If you’re in a fire fight then by all means, R Trigger/R2/Left click the f*** out of that thing. However, you also have knife sticks, batons, mace and pepper spray. All those items yet only a gun seems to be used. Even when someone is unarmed. I’m aware that sometimes you just don’t know but still, the excess at which guns are used is appalling.
6. The double standards in our society are equally appalling. People are real quick to call a black athlete like Cam Newton a thug whenever they celebrate excessively, or Colin Kaepernick when he sits during the anthem. But when an idiot like Johnny Manzel assaults his girlfriend, parties the night before games, travels to Vegas and misses concussion protocol, y’all are quick to say he’s just a good guy who needs help. So allow me to call it as it is. Johnny Manzel is an over-privileged piece of shit who has no respect for authority and lives on Mom and Dad’s money. Yet we as a society allow it to happen because we’d much rather call Cam Newton, Richard Sherman, Collin Kaepernick and Marshawn Lynch thugs before we call Manzel for what he really is: scum!
I’ve held in my frustrations for quite some time, but I’m tired of this shit. The police brutality and murders have become so commonplace that I’m pretty much numb to it all. Whenever a cop gets to walk knowing damn well they murdered someone, I’m no longer surprised. It’s pretty fucking sad that things have gotten to this point.
If you’re still in denial about our current race problems then you should really check yourself and wipe your feet at the door. As a matter of fact, don’t even look at that door if you’re still in denial.
Stay classy folks…
Flemmings Beaubrun is an avid gamer and lover of music. When not working, Flemmings likes to spend his time whipping up dank beats for the masses. He also spends his weekends thrift shopping for rare video games and obscure electronics. Other times he’s in front of a TV with a giant bowl of cereal enjoying shows from the 90s.